Thursday, August 23, 2012

Back on track!

It is been very very long.. wasn't it?  I have been busy with all sorts of stuff... not much writing though.  I have written a few blogs on my other blog, I have reviewed various ideas concerning my book.  I have made some writing out of the blog, as well and I have even wrote some blogs in Arabic (in my copybook at home:)...

So, yes... sort of lazy.. but not that bad..

And I have done 2 more things! I have ventured to contact a publishing house...and to get some of their books..and read most of them... and found them really nice...

I have met the publisher...and we discussed... and I realized that we all have huge illusions in our heads!

As a kid, I used to think that I would be a writer.. As I grew older I looked around, and I found that I was too tiny compared to other authors then like Tawfik el Hakim or Youssef Idris.. and then I dropped it totally.

Then, came a time where almost nobody was reading in Egypt, and I was not writing..so, I believed that was not a good time..

When these were no longer obstacles, and the market was introducing more and more new writers, I managed successfully to create new obstacles, that seemed so concrete, that I did not doubt their existence.  I always said them in a voice that was not so 100% convinced, but the reality was that I was totally into them.

The obstacle was "I write mostly in English.  Who would read that in Egypt?"  and followed of course "I write things that are deep, how many people would be interested?" .  Then a third obstacle shown up "what shape should it take fiction or non fiction?"

And after elaborately organizing one item over another, it was very easy to stop taking any actions, even if these actions would be a harmless phone call..

Today, I realized that English books in Egypt might have higher readership... that English was not ever a problem, nor the type of book.. nor the shape...and for a few seconds, I was shushed.  "how could I so cleverly convince myself of these things and believe them without doubt, when they for a matter-of-fact were not true?"

How often I have done this to me? How many years were wasted... how many dreams forgotten?? How could we keep doing that to ourselves?

No comments:

Post a Comment